Skip the beef and try buffalo meat for a healthier alternative with this hearty recipe. We did a side by side with a beef meatloaf and thought this even better! The flavor is much sweeter and, because of the higher protein content, smaller portions are more satisfying. Buffalo gives meatloaf a delicious flavor and moist texture.
- 5 lbs. of ground Buffalo aka Bison
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh bread
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup blue cheese
- 1 cup sautéed onions
- 2 T chopped fresh thyme
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- Couple dash Hot sauce
- Couple dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 T kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Soak bread and milk in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl mix meat with eggs and crumble the bread with your hands into the meat.
- Add the cheese, onions, thyme, parsley, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- In a small bowl mix the ketchup and Dijon.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and form 2 logs of the meatloaf.
- Glaze the top with the ketchup mix and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes; remove foil and brown top for last 10 minutes Internal temperature should reach 155 degrees.
- Let rest and serve!
You can skip the dijon and hot sauce, and also make a more herbaceous recipe that Martha Stewart does, but this is our preferred Buffaloaf aka bison meatloaf.
Easy, not too many ingredients, freezes well...and it's YUMMY. The kids will love it too. Bison meatloaf in a pan.